Friday, February 18, 2011

You're in a courtyard 2/18/11

I turn in a circle. My white dress flares around making the greens seem brighter. The sky is a perfect baby blue with just a few fluffy white clouds. To my right is a set of hedges placed in a circle. A second ring on the inside of them are concrete benches for people to use as they chat together. There is a fountain in the middle. Three tiers of sparkling water, waterfalling tier to tier creating a soothing cadence. There's a couple sitting on one of the benches, heads close, whispering to each other. I continue my stroll. Flower beds abound, planted by color. Trees edge the perimeter. Tall, almost forbidding in their height. They are almost daring you to enter their dark, forrested kingdom. Few are brave enough to venture there. I look at the path behind me. White stepping stones that lead back to the main house. Safety lies there of course. Hearth and home and family and all that. All special. All safe.

I look in front of me again. The forest guards call their challenge. I can hear it in the wind. My eyes close, my face tilts into the soft breeze. Stay or go? Safety or danger? I hear the laughter of the party guests. Someone has started an activity of some kind. Probabaly of the flirty, frolicky kind. One of my favorites. I take a few steps back towards the known. The breeze comes again. It feels more insistant. it tugs at my skirt. My hair is loosened from its knot at the base of my skull. I tuck it behind my ear and look into the darkness between the trees. Something moves deeper in. I can't tell waht it was but at the breezes incessant tugging, I follow. I'm not dressed for a romp in the woods but I don't care. All that matters is that I go. My heart races as my soul settles. Whatever it's looking for will be found here, in the Kingdom of Trees. Branches tug at my sleeves and skirt but never tear. More like a gentle warning. Possible but not guaranteed danger. My white dancing shoes make no sound as I tread softly though the ground is littered with stones, dead branches and leaves. There it is! That flash of movement again. My heart picks up it's frantic race as my soul all but sighs with contentment. This is right. I know it is. Scary, tempting but so right. There is no doubt. I must follow. It's the only thing to settle my restless soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment